Sunday, May 17, 2009

We are the Church

If only...

I am the church! You are the church!
We are the church together!
All who follow Jesus all around the world!
Yes, We're the church together!
The church is not a building,
the church is not a steeple,
the church is a people.

Today was the first time in nearly 5 years that I have sat through a Church service in a pew. I was raised in Catholic Church but began to say to my friends early on in high school that I had "denounced my Catholicism". I had no idea really why I wanted out other than my rebellious nature, but more importantly in the depth of my heart I new there must be something more to the Christian faith.

So when I when I found this hymn entitled We are the Church in a United Methodist cathedral, with a large steeple, pews, and stain glass windows I was intrigued/confused.

People can meet anywhere right? Houses, streets, empty office buildings, apartments, class rooms, even under high over passes.

If what this hymn says about church is true: that church it is not in a building or steeple but is in the community of PEOPLE, then why do we build steeples, stain glass windows, and buildings?

I welcome any comment that will help me understand why we walk down this road constantly even when we claim to believe what this hymn proclaims.



No comments:

Post a Comment